The sun had set, and the evening was getting quite cold.
A little too cold.
We all felt it, but none of us said how cold we actually were.
I’m sure many were too embarrassed to bring it up -
it was clear that they never planned on needing a fire.
it was clear that they never planned on needing a fire.
The rest of us didn't say anything because we were getting used to it.
But what we needed was a fire.
A big fire.
Finally, a little later than I would have preferred, someone said,
“Let’s get a fire going before we all freeze to death”.
“Let’s get a fire going before we all freeze to death”.
A few agreed quite loudly, “Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.”
Some half-smiled as though they agreed.
Some just looked, well, cold. They didn't say much.
I plucked up the courage
to say “Yeah. Let’s get some kindling.”
“OK”, a few said, almost in unison.
Kindling!
What a good idea. Now a new issue emerged: darkness.
“Anyone got a torch?” I asked.
A couple of dim lights broke the almost black night.
Ah - smartphones. But quickly
they all went dim. It was late.
The phones had been used quite a bit through the day. You know –
Facebook and such.
With no light we stumbled around groping for kindling.
Not much luck there. Just people bumping into each. Grumbling.
Most just gave up and returned to the group.
They huddled together (though not too closely) to keep each other a
little bit warm.
Despite the passing interest, it was too cold. And too dark.
There will be no fire tonight.
We will all be cold.